According to a study by Johns Hopkins Medicine researchers, medical errors should be listed as the third leading cause of death in the United States. It is estimated that over 250,000 people die each year as a result of medical errors.
According to the official list of the CDC, these errors would rank behind cancer and heart disease – both of which caused about 600,000 deaths in 2014 – and in front of respiratory disease, which resulted in about 150,000 deaths in the US. Surgical errors in New York are one of the most common medical errors, apart from medication, anesthesia and other mistakes.
Common Types of Surgical Errors
Although many advancements have been made in the medical world, surgical errors in New York unfortunately still occur more than people think. Here is a brief look at some of the most common mistakes made in the operating room:
- Wrong site surgery: This is an error that occurs when a surgeon performs a procedure on the wrong organ or body part. There are quite a few cases where surgeons have amputated the wrong limb.
- Unnecessary surgery/wrong patient: While it is not as common as wrong site surgery, surgery on the wrong patient has still been known to occur. A patient can be subjected to an unnecessary procedure, along with the complications that come with surgery. Some of these complications can be severe and have a lasting negative impact on the patient.
- Surgical instruments left inside: Surgical errors in New York that involve instruments being left inside a patient’s body occur more often than you realize. While in some hospitals, the medical staff is required to make sure that all surgical instruments, gauze, sponges, etc. are properly counted before and after the surgery is performed, not all do. When a surgical instrument is left inside the body, it can lead to serious complications and infection.
- Infection: When unsanitary surgical instruments are used to perform a procedure, it can lead to cross-contamination of disease and yes, even in America this can still happen. If the patient’s immune system is already compromised, it can result in infection and sepsis, which can be fatal.
- Internal organ or tissue damage: When a surgeon is performing a particular procedure, they could accidentally puncture or perforate a neighboring organ with scissors, a scalpel, or laser. Organ tissue is quite delicate in particular, and when such a surgical mistake is made, it can result in severe and long-lasting health issues.
- Nerve damage: A physical error on the surgeon’s part or an error in the administration of anesthesia can result in nerve damage in a patient. Anesthesia mistakes are one of the most common surgical errors in New York.
We Know How to Win Complex Cases
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury or complication due to an error made by your doctor during surgery, you should seek the counsel of a prolific and focused medical malpractice lawyer at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280.
Cases involving surgical errors in New York can be complex and require the expertise that only a marvelous and committed legal representative can provide. Making sure that you have the best legal professional by your side increases your chances of success when you file a medical malpractice claim against the negligent doctor or hospital.
There is no point in yelling and screaming at the hospital staff. Anyone who is at fault has been removed from your case. This is now a legal matter and you need RMFW Law on your side. We want to hear what you have to say. You need a medical expert to support your claim and we know some medical experts who we can contact. If one of them backs your case then we have a case.
We want to win as badly as you do and we know how to bring these cases to a golden fruition. We have won big money for previous clients, let’s see if we can add you to this list. Call RMFW Law now!