Spinal cord injuries often happen due to a fall, accident, or due to medical negligence. Whatever the reason, spinal cord injury leaves victims in a miserable condition that forces them to bear medical expenses for the rest of life. Therefore, it is very important for neurosurgeons to be highly cautious while performing the surgery and also provide best post-operative care to avoid spinal cord injuries.
What is a spinal cord injury?
Spinal cord injury refers to the damage of the spinal cord, the backbone, or its associated nerves. Depending on the vertebrae and the nerves involved in the damage any part of the body especially the limbs can get paralyzed. As the spinal cord plays major role in regulating some of the metabolic activities of the body such as respiration, regulation of body temperature, bladder control, etc. injury to the spinal cord can also result in chronic health problems if not paralysis.
Causes for spinal cord injuries in surgery
Majority of spinal cord injuries in surgery occur during back and neck surgeries. Some of the common medical malpractices that cause injury to spinal cord include
· Faulty administration of spinal block
· Error in administering spinal anesthesia
· Orthopedic surgery performed by inexperienced surgeons
· Errors in the process of performing neurosurgery
· Failure to diagnose and treat stroke
· Failure to detect tumors that ultimately may cause damage to spinal cord
· Delayed diagnosis of spinal cord infections
Compensation expected in Spinal cord injuries in surgery
· Past and future medical expenses: This covers all the bills incurred due to injury at the time of filing the case and expenses that have to be spent for a complete cure. Future medical expenses are generally very high in case of spinal injury.
· Past and future loss of earnings: spinal injuries may paralyze the victim making them unfit for work. This causes heavy damage to the economical condition of the family and therefore becomes a large part of the compensation claim.
· Expenses for in-home assistance: Spinal cord injuries often prohibit the victim from performing daily chores such as cooking, cleaning, and even personal care causing them to depend on family members for help. Compensation often covers expenses for arranging an in-house assistant to the victim.
Other compensations offered to victims of spinal cord injury due to medical malpractice are for undergoing emotional stress, loss of association with the partner if the victim is married, and for modifications to be made in the house to offer comfortable stay to the victim.
If your friend or family member has suffered spinal cord injury due to medical malpractice then you have the right to file a lawsuit make sure they get adequate compensation even though they can never be a price equivalent to what they have lost. Your best bet is to hire a New York City medical malpractice attorney to evaluate your case.
The attorneys at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff (RMFW) can work to helping you get what you deserve. All you need is to call 212 697 9280 and schedule an appointment. There will be a nice voice waiting for you on the other side. RMFW knows how to win cases!