According to statistics, over 1,300 people are killed and more than 116,000 are injured as a result of icy, snowy, or slushy pavements each year in the United States. It has also been reported that nearly 900 people are killed and nearly 76,000 people are injured in vehicle crashes each year during sleet or snowfall.
24% of weather-related vehicle crashes each year occur on icy, snowy, or slushy pavements and 15% occur during sleet or snowfall.
Tips to Keep You Safe on the Road This Winter
Winter is a dangerous time to be behind the wheel. This is why it is extremely important to ensure your safety on the road during this time of the year. Here is a look at a few vital tips to remember this winter so you can be safe while driving:
- Avoid driving your vehicle if you are fatigued. You should make sure that you get proper rest before you take on winter driving – proper rest helps keep you alert and decrease the risk of a car accident.
- Check your tires properly to make sure that they are properly inflated. Additionally, keep in mind that radial tires should never be mixed with other types of tires.
- Your gas tank should be at least half-full so that there is no freeze-up of the gas line. It is also advisable to use anti-freeze as it helps in lowering the coolant’s freezing point while increasing the boiling point – this makes sure that the cooling system in your car works effectively.
- You should make sure that you avoid using your parking brake in snowy weather if possible. You should also avoid using cruise control when you are driving on icy, wet or slippery surfaces.
- Check and take proper care of your car battery. During winter, batteries often cause problems as the starter uses more amps to crank the old engine. One of the best ways to avoid car problems in winter is to make sure that your car battery is in good condition. Make sure that the water level is topped up, using distilled water and the terminals are cleaned regularly, removing dirt or acid that may have collected on the battery case.
- Make sure that your car’s front and rear lights are working properly. This helps increase your visibility on the road even when it is snowing or raining and allows other drivers to see you, thereby preventing potentially dangerous collisions.
Substantial Legal Help for Car Accidents is With Us
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident caused by another person’s negligence or recklessness, you should immediately seek the help of a fantastic and cutting edge personal injury lawyer at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280.
You can file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party and obtain compensation for damages, such as your injuries, medical bills, pain and suffering, and so forth. With a stellar legal pro by your side, you can make sure that you have the legal expertise required to handle personal injury cases like yours.
Call RMFW Law today! We know how to win these types of cases. We have won serious money for previous clients before and you too can be on this sparkling list. You pay us nothing up front. We only win if you win.