There is a lot that can wrong in just about any workplace, and is especially true in the case of large warehouses. Uncontrolled traffic and complex machinery that is used in warehouses pose risks for accidents around the clock. And, this is why it is important to mitigate these risks of injury and accidents with adequate planning and training programs.
By implementing safety standards, employers can keep their employees healthy and also minimize damage to equipment as well as inventory.
Three of the main causes of accidents involving forklifts are pedestrian accidents, irresponsible driving, and tip overs. However, it is easy to address these three factors, to reduce the risk of workplace injuries substantially.
Tips to Prevent Forklift Accidents
- Preventing Truck Tip-Overs
It is but natural for drivers to jump off of the truck, when a forklift begins to tip over. Unfortunately, this is a leading cause of grievous injuries. Forklifts are designed to carry several tons, so when a truck lands on an employee it is bound to break bones or worse.
Tips to minimize the chances of a tip-over:
- Slow down while turning. It is important to reduce speed just before turning. The speed should be maintained throughout the turn, ensuring that the steering wheel is rotated slowly.
- Employees must lower the forks and gently tilt them back in order to keep the load stable when operating the forklift.
- Always maintain low loads, and ensure the mast is always tilted back for better stability. Remember, that the truck can trip if heavy loads are angled either too forward or far backward.
- Never load the forks beyond the maximum capacity of the truck.
- Unstable or oddly shaped loads should not be transported or moved.
- Tall or wide loads must be moved slowly and carefully.
- All employees must undergo regular assessments as a part of any training program. The forklift test must examine the employee’s ability and skill to avoid tip-overs.
- Address Irresponsible Driving and Horseplay
Supervisors must immediately address horseplay. The employees must understand that by driving a forklift with abandon, not only will they put themselves at risk, but will also compromise the safety of other pedestrians and employees.
Forklift trucks are not just healthy, but also unstable. Even the most experienced of drivers can sometimes make mistakes. And, it is therefore prudent that a driver operating in an unsafe fashion must be immediately disciplined. This is one of the simplest ways, to prevent forklift accidents.
- Ensure Safety of Surrounding Pedestrians and Workers
Drivers need to exercise caution and avoid pedestrians to prevent forklift accidents. Similar to driving a car on a road, pedestrians always have the right-of-way, even when they are walking in the forklift driving path. It is therefore critical that the forklift drivers are trained to look out for pedestrians and honk at blind spots and intersections.
Even with strict guidelines are implemented to prevent forklift accidents, there can be minor accidents. If you or someone you know of, has been in a forklift accident and sustained serious injuries, simply contact one of the many of the profound personal injury lawyers at Rosenberg, Minc, Falloff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280. Call today for a free consultation!
That is right, the first meeting is free. We have won many cases for previous clients and you too can be on this sparkling list. What is your side of the story? What really happened?
We at RMFW Law are only paid if you are paid. We want to win as badly as you do and we know how to deal with the opposition including the legal counselors from the opposing insurance company. We know their ploys and we know how to beat them at their own game or hit them using the law in ways they cannot deflect or legally block. Call RMFW Law today!