Each year, hundreds of workers in the agricultural industry, including child laborers though this is very rare, die across the United States. Farming is among the least regulated, lowest paid and most dangerous occupations, with the official rate of workplace fatality of over 21 per 100,000.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a minimum of 167 farm workers suffer an injury that results in time lost at work. Of these daily accidents, 1 in every 20 is so severe that it leads to permanent impairment.
In 2012, which is the most recent year for available data, about 14,000 children were injured on farms across the US. It is very sad that America does not have a logical and functional immigration system but this is another topic. Also, an average of 113 youth have died each year as a result of farming-related injuries over the past couple of decades.
Common Questions Regarding Farm Accidents
Q1: What are some of the common causes of farm accidents in New York?
A: Farming accidents have a wide range of causes. Tractors and other farm machinery that move are the leading causes of such accidents. The CDC reports that exposure to toxic pesticides and a number of other chemicals are also commonly responsible for injuries and deaths on farms. Exposure can cause respiratory problems, poisoning and severe skin damage. Animals that are not properly penned can also cause farm accidents.
Q2: Who may be liable for injuries sustained in a farm accident?
A: When an accident is caused by an employer or a co-worker, the claim is, in general, handled by workers’ compensation. There may be third parties liable as well, including:
- Tractor manufacturers and makers of other farm equipment
- Construction firms that build silos, grain bins and other farm structures
- Animal owners
- Property owners
- Sub-contractors that provide services such as pesticide and trucking management
Q3: What actions should I take if I get injured in a farm accident?
A: If you suffer an injury caused by a farm accident in New York, there are many things that you can do to make sure that you and your legal rights are protected.
- Get medical treatment for your injuries.
- Report the injury immediately to your employer.
- Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses of the accident.
- If possible, you should try to preserve any evidence connected to your injury by taking as many photos of the accident location as you can or keeping the tool or equipment involved in your injury.
- Consult a lawyer as quickly as you can to help in evaluating any potential claims and discuss the workers’ compensation laws in your state.
Secure Legal Help in New York for Your Farm Accident Injury
If you or a loved one has been injured in a farm accident, you should immediately seek the help of the prolific, energetic, and reliable lawyers that work at the game winning law firm known as Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280.
What is your side of the story? What really happened? If your story is viable we will carry this case for you all the way to the end. We know how to negotiate and we know how to press forward. RMFW Law has won millions and millions of dollars for past clients, you too can on this salient list.
Call RMFW Law today!