According to recent research by Johns Hopkins Medicine, medical errors are currently the third leading cause of death in the United States. It has been found that more than 250,000 deaths are caused by medical errors each year in the nation. 10% of all deaths in the US are a result of medical errors – cancer and heart disease are the top 2 causes of death.
The unfortunate news is that these errors are a highly under-recognized cause of death. With the high number of deaths caused by medical errors or negligence, it is important to find out what you can do to avoid becoming a victim of such errors.
Tips to Avoid Medical Errors
Here are a few important tips to help you avoid becoming a victim of medical errors:
· Have a proactive medical summary: One of the first things you should do to protect yourself against medical errors is prepare a proactive medical summary of any health conditions and/or allergies you may have, doctors and all medications. Make sure that your family knows where you keep your summary. In case of hospitalization or an emergency, it could give medical staff important details quickly.
· Ask for recommendations from reliable sources: When you are looking for a new doctor, it is important to make sure that you consult a reliable medical professional for recommendations. Never rely on advertisements, online reviews or word of mouth to find a doctor. The best path to a quality healthcare provider is another trusted provider.
· Always have a companion: If you are hospitalized or need to be, make sure that you have someone with you at all times – a relative or friends. Organize shifts among friends and family to ensure that you are never alone. However, keep in mind that it is important to only enlist people who are observant and have good communication skills.
· Pay attention: While in the hospital, you should make sure that you pay close attention to what the medical staff is doing. Take notes and always provide doctors and nurses with the information they need. You should also ask questions if you have any concerns or queries. Last but not least, keep a record of all doctors and nurses’ names and shifts.
· Trust your instincts: If you have a feeling that something is wrong, you should always listen to your instincts. Remember that doctors and nurses are also human and there is a chance that they may make mistakes. Speak up about your concerns if you have any. If everything else fails, you can request a meeting with a hospital care team and "risk management" to talk about any concerns you may have.
RMFW Law Knows How to Deal with Medical Errors Legally
If you or a loved one has been harmed or injured as a result of medical errors, you should seek the help of one of our tremendous and reliable medical malpractice lawyers at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280 as soon as possible.
Provide your legal counselor with all the records and documents you have so that they can determine if you have a viable case. We will ask you for all of this. If you do, your legal professional will help you take the steps to filing a medical malpractice suit against the negligent medical professional and recover the maximum compensation for damages. But before this happens you need to call us. And we need to find a medical expert to support your claim.
No medical expert to support your claim = no claim. It is that simple. But RMFW Law has been around the block before and we know who to contact for cases such as this. This may take months but this is part of the process, rest assured, we are working on your behalf and you will be kept in the loop.
Do not scream at the medical staff – there is nothing they can do for you. Call RMFW Law today! This is now a legal situation and we will work this case like it is our last. We are only paid if you are paid. You pay us nothing up front!