As per the annual plastic surgery procedural statistics, 15.9 million minimally-invasive and surgical procedures were conducted in 2015 in the US, which is said to be an increase of about 2% from 2014.
Of the 1.7 million cosmetic surgical procedures that were performed in 2015, 279,143 procedures were breast augmentation, giving it the first place in the top 5 procedures in the U.S.
Complications Caused by Surgical Error
While many women in New York, as well other places, have breast surgery to improve the appearance of their breasts, there are also those who have breast augmentations and reductions for medical as well as personal reasons. As with other surgeries, inexperienced surgeons and poor surgical technique can result in poor results and complications. Due to surgical error, there can be an increase in the possibility of complications including:
- Incorrect breast size
- Disproportionate breasts
- Unreasonable or excessive scars on the breasts
- Hardening of the breasts, or capsular contracture
- Lack of asymmetry/symmetry of the breasts
- Loss of feeling in the breasts or nipples
- Nipple injury
- Nerve damage
- Severe disfigurement
Questions to Ask After a Breast Augmentation Procedure
People who are required or have elected to undergo a breast augmentation procedure have done so for health reasons or because they want to enhance their appearance. The last thing that these people need is complications or to end up with worse results than they had before they chose to undergo the breast augmentation.
Medical negligence or inexperience can result in poor outcomes and/or complications. This is why it is important to ask certain questions after an elective breast augmentation to determine if medical negligence was the cause of the complications or bad results. These questions include:
- Was the surgeon who performed the breast augmentation competent or qualified to perform the surgery?
- Are you suffering complications, including unusually severe pain, infection, bleeding or unreasonable or visible scarring?
- Did the results of the breast augmentation surgery meet your expectations?
- Did your doctor properly inform you of all the potential severe complications, risks and alternatives of your cosmetic or plastic surgery prior to the surgery?
- Did the surgeon perform more surgery than that was originally agreed upon without your consent?
These are important questions to ask after getting a surgical procedure done if you have suffered complications. If your answers indicate that your complications may have been a result of medical negligence on your surgeon’s part, you can protect your rights and file a medical malpractice claim in New York against your doctor.
Get Legal Help in New York
If you or a loved has suffered complications after a breast augmentation as a result of negligence, you should immediately seek the help of the qualified medical malpractice attorneys at Rosenberg, Minc, Falkoff, & Wolff of RMFW Law at 212 697 9280. These cases are difficult but we know how to tackle them!
We have expert/s ready to back up your claims if your case is viable. The first meeting is free, give RMFW Law a call today. What is your side of the story? This is not going to be easy but we have won millions of dollars for past clients and you too can be on this extraordinary list. We have put smiles on countless clients’ faces. Call us now!