One of Gibb’s brothers, Robin, stated that it took more than ten minutes for doctors to retrieve the equipment required to restart Gibb’s heart and that his brother suffered extreme brain damage by the time the equipment arrived.
According to the medical malpractice lawyers that were representing the family, Mount Sinai Hospital admitted that they were at fault and were accepting liability. Gibb’s death was completely preventable, and the matter was settled privately between lawyers representing each party. A resolution was reached with a payout of an undisclosed amount.
Though hospital negligence is not as common as other types of medical malpractice, hospitals have a responsibility to provide the best quality and standards of care to staff and patients.
Filing a medical malpractice lawsuit against a hospital is a difficult task, so you should contact a medical malpractice lawyer if it is something you would like to pursue. This lawyer will explain to you that you have a legal right to receive compensation for any injuries that you sustained caused by the hospital’s negligence, and you must assert your rights by addressing the matter accordingly.
Generally, you will need to follow these steps when filing a medical malpractice lawsuit for hospital negligence:
- Adhere to the statute of limitations so that you don’t miss your chance to file your medical malpractice lawsuit and potentially receive compensation
- Discuss the case in-depth with your medical malpractice lawyer and ensure that you provide them with all of the details so that they can do their part to represent you accurately and effectively
- Determine whether the hospital itself was negligent, or if it was an independent contractor, as this will determine who you sue and who you will receive compensation from
- Obtain all of your medical records so that you and your medical malpractice lawyer have all the necessary information related to your case
- Determine your damages so that you can accurately consider the validity of a settlement if it is proposed
- Comply with your medical malpractice lawyer’s guidelines and the procedural rules related to your case so that you stand the best possible chance of winning
- Draft and file your complaint
It will be necessary for you to consult with an NYC medical malpractice attorney if you live in NYC.
If you think that you have been a victim of hospital negligence, or that it has affected your friends or family, then you can speak to one of our medical malpractice attorneys for a free and confidential consultation.
Please call (212) 697-9280 today and contact the medical malpractice lawyers of Rosenburg, Minc, Falkoff & Wolff LLP in NYC.